Healthy cognitive functioning is essential for accurate perception of reality. Becoming aware and counteracting common "mind infections" are essential for rational thinking, decision-making, and achieving desired outcomes.
Common Mind Infections and Solutions:
- Cognitive Biases and Heuristics: Using intuitions and feelings for decision making. Seek out information that contradicts your thought.
- Negative mental associations: Challenge these associations by seeking information and evidence that is contradictory. Create positive experiences with those people or activities. Identify the root cause of your previous negative experience. Change one variable and observe the outcome.
- Ruminating thoughts: Act within 5 seconds or move on. Do more activities and your mind will refocus on other things.
- Self doubt, lack of confidence, low self-esteem: The human experience is universal, and therefore you are not alone in your experience. We create an illusion when we think that we are unique in our experience or somehow not as valuable as someone else. You possess all of the capabilities to excel in your life.
Positive Metal States:
- Emotional stability
- Peace of mind
- Positive consciousness stream: Establish a habit of focusing attention on things that bring you joy. This will create a stream of positive thoughts that you can chose to act on using the 5 Second Rule to create more joy in your day.